The JSS Spiritual Mission
The JSS Spiritual Mission, in association with like-minded organizations, has made collaborative efforts to spread India’s rich socio-cultural and spiritual heritage in the United States. The Mission’s activities focus on spiritual discourses, the practice of yoga, Indian cultural education, prayer and devotional rituals at the temple, worship of deities, celebration of all Indian festivals, and dissemination of spiritual knowledge in the sacred texts.
The establishment of the JSS Spiritual Mission is the fulfillment of a long-cherished vision of His Holiness Sri Shivarathri Rajendra Mahaswamiji, 23rd Pontiff, who visited the United States in 1986. Enthused by the desire of the JSS alumni, their families and devotees of JSS institutions, the JSS Spiritual Mission was established in 1999, by His Holiness Jagadguru Sri Shivarathri Deshikendra Mahaswamiji, the present pontiff.
The Mission has been established under the 501(c)3 status (the portion of the US Internal Revenue Code that allows for federal tax exemption of non-profit organizations). It aims to serve the society by facilitating the citizens to imbibe everlasting values that have come through our traditions. These values cut across the boundaries of caste, creed, community, race, etc. and serve everyone who aspires to a safe and peaceful life.Plans are underway to construct a new temple at the current location.
- Provide spiritual knowledge to all seekers
- Perpetuate healthy living through yoga and meditation
- Reinstall faith in sacred Indian rituals like guru deeksha initiation, festivals, pooja, naming ceremony, house warming ceremonies, marriages, etc.
- Publish sacred texts, literature, and spiritual experiences in contemporary media.
- Conduct workshops, and seminars to provide opportunities to benefit from the rich experience of practitioners, scholars and spiritual leaders.
- Facilitate and promote Indian philosophy, culture, art and music.
- Establish joint venture activities with other missionaries sharing similar values.
- Organize exchange programs to facilitate cultural exchange.
Current Activities at JSS Spiritual Mission include:
- Classes held for children and adults to learn Hindi, Kannada, Telugu, dance, and Indian culture
- Spiritual and yoga programs and retreats.
- Summer Camps for the children to enjoy their Summer Holidays.
- Celebration of all Hindu festivals and Poojas at the Private House of Worship.
- Temple priests are available to perform Hindu ceremonies at the residences of devotees.
- Two community halls are available to rent for private functions.
- Preparation of Prasad to deities and devotees.